Painted or taped lines are often associated with safety (pedestrian paths, forklift and equipment paths, etc.) but they are also very useful for marking work areas, as well as locations for pallets, raw materials, finished goods, shipping areas, hazardous areas, and other static locations.
Industrial floor tapes are preferred to painted lines as they are more resistant to foot and forklift traffic and don’t require long dry times which can cause costly downtimes. They are also easier to clean and require less upkeep.
Often times companies with 5S organization programs will also use thinner vinyl tapes (0.25” to 2” width) of different colors to mark workbenches and work cells to create visual cues for employees, or to mark the locations of tools or equipment that shouldn’t move. This helps keep work areas clear of clutter and keeps these static items in their optimal positions.
This work cell organization system can be used for work cells of any kind- in both office and industrial settings. This will improve work ow and result in better productivity and time management. Additionally, misplaced items and equipment are easy to spot.
Tool outlining simply means that you create a visual outline of your tool to be able to quickly return it to its proper home. For pegboards and other hanging tool systems, this is done using painted or vinyl cutouts of your tools, which are then placed behind the tools. Vinyl “tool outlines” are preferred since they are easier to apply and require no maintenance. This method is called shadow boarding.
For tool drawers, you can use customizable foam to create a tool organization system to not only see where the proper homes are for your individual tools and see when they are missing, but also to help protect your toolbox and tools from damage.
- Aisle Marking Tape – 5 Strongest Tapes You have Ever Seen!– creativesafetysupply.com
- What all is needed in a 5S kit?– 5sforum.com
- Floor Marking Tape Applications– floormarkingtape.org
- The Tools of 5S– 5svideos.com
- 5S – Setting in Order– kaizenforums.com
- Floor Marking for Warehouse Traffic– forkliftsafety101.com
- Tool Outline Vinyl – Easy, Customized Shadow Boards!– lean-video.com
- The Best Way to Apply Floor Tape in the Workplace– facilityfloortape.com
- Industrial Floor Tape vs. Industrial Floor Paint– infographicsdirectory.org